Sunday, January 22, 2006

Nizlopi

So we did the usual hire-a-car and drive to London to see Nizlopi playing at the Shepherd's Bush Empire. We had a bite to eat before hand at a local restaurant, where they took sooo long to bring our food out they actually gave us another round of drinks on the house!

In the car on the way down, we stopped at a garage that just happened to sell genuine JCB plastic toys. I decided that spending a fiver on this piece of 'official JCB merchandise' would be a good investment - even it was destined to be used as a projectile at the gig!

The Music was good - some found the continuous beat-boxing by matey on the left with the big violin, a tad repetitive and somewhat unnecessary. Maybe people would have appreciated this talent if he'd have rationed it a bit more. That said, his solo was awesome.

We listened to a good half-a-dozen songs before the JCB song came on and even then it was some strange edited version that was difficult to sing/shout along to. We were about ten metres from the stage and it was suggested to me that launching the JCB from that distance may prove hazardous. So I decided to wade through the crowd to the front near the stage - where I could show matey. He looked quite impressed, so I threw it at him.

His accomplice picked it up at the end of song and read the note out loud that we scrawled on the back....

Chants of "SAM! SAM! SAM!" were greatly appreciated - thank you people.

At the end of the evening, I overheard a couple 'upper-class' grebo wenches 'avin a go' about us, well mainly me. They strongly objected to the the fact that we were talking through the performance. Then they started slating me for MY appearance. I felt it necessary to point out that she was on somewhat dodgey ground when criticising the way other people look and dress - considering she hardly looked like she'd made the effort. She actually looked as if she was going to a fancy dress party as a cross between the ginger bloke from brave heart and Uncle Bulgeria from the Wombles! She thought that somehow because she went to school with Nizlopi, she deserved to be there and I didn't. At one point she actually screamed trinity in my face - which I think was the name of their school. Thank you to Sarah and John for supervising me throughout our 'discussion'.


To be fair, I thought that these were the last people to object to our presence. I thought it far more likely that the following people would have been far higher up the list:

1) The poor girl in front of me I dropped my pint over before the music had started

2) The numerous people who I trod on and lied to - to get to the stage during the JCB song

3) And the strange looking fat guy with a mole on his nose, who I kept accidently dancing on and who overheard me commenting on how I wondered what his girlfriend was doing with him.....

Cheers Guys and Girls - a thoroughly good night!

2 Comments:

Blogger John said...

"The poor girl in front of me I dropped my pint over before the music had started"

Hahaha, classic.....

12:10 AM  
Blogger Test said...

That's not a "big violin" that's a freaking DOUBLE BASS!!!

1:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home