Tuesday, April 11, 2006

New car for the RST-V8 engine

Having a flick through my blog the other day, I noticed it was quite 'car' orientated. So I thought I'd write about something different..... then I found out about this.....

A while ago Russell Savory took me out in a Caterham that was completely bonkers. It was fitted with a 2.4L V8 producing 400bhp. The engine was constructed by fusing two motorbike engines together and could propel the Seven to 60 in under 3 seconds and would do 100mph and back to 0 in under 10!

Russell is working with a company who's engineers, managers and technicians used to work at McLaren Cars Ltd. They've designed a car that will out perform both the F1 and the Veyron. It is to be fitted with a supercharged version of the RST-V8 producing 500bhp. The FreeStream as it is dubbed, will have a power to weight ratio comparable with that of a Formula 1 car – nearly 1000bhp/tonne. It's chassis and aerodynamics are configured in such a way as to allow the car to be "predictably safe and responsive to driver inputs" - handy as the car is to be sold for use on the public roads.

^ The FreeStream - an F1 Car with a sheet over it?? ^

Russell has mentioned that I should go along to one of their testing days up at NorthWeald airfield and - get ready for this - "come and have a drive". Er, I quite like that. To read more on it, check out the following links:

www.freestreamcars.com

www.rst-v8.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home