Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Is the 22B still quick?

Yes. Yes it's very quick and very agile. Up until Sunday I hadn't driven the 22B for a whole month - far too long! I'd forgotten just how good it was and decided to drive it to and from work this week. I've been driving the Elise every day now for over a month and the Subaru's cabin feels luxurious in comparison. Although I've been convinced for years that the driving position in the 22B is ergonomically perfect, it felt almost compromised having driven the Elise for so long.

I bought the 22B to ease me into the art of rear wheel drive in high performance cars. Although its four wheel drive, it is rear biased and has a 70:30 torque split, meaning it has a lot of the handling characteristics of a rear wheel drive car. Up until I bought the 22B I'd only really driven front wheel drive hot hatches and although many of the new handling traits were intuitive, the lack of drivers aids (i.e. no abs or traction control of any kind) ensured a steep learning curve would be essential if the scooby was to remain crease-free.

After a track day, a 1000 round abouts and a few years practice around the lanes, the 22B is living up to its reputation. Before I got the Elise, I was more than capable of putting the 22B through its paces around the lanes, with a dab of opposite lock, on power oversteer and the occasional victory power slide - I was beginning to feel like Colin McRae! - then I bought the Elise.

The chassis on the Elise is so responsive that the outcome of every driver input is felt immediately 'through the seat of your pants'. Every drive in an Elise is a learning experience about the dynamics of a sports car. Having only recently made the transition to RWD, my driving style has already defaulted to accommodate the dynamics of a RWD chasis, intuitively unsettling the car to drift it through a corner or two. Although the 22B was supposed to act as an intermediary before letting myself loose on 'proper' RWD sports car, the chassis on the 22B responds really well to being driven as if it was entirely rear wheel drive itself - meaning you can be more committed and use the added grip as a real advantage (or at least have more fun doing it!)

Now a quick reminder of just how quick the 22B accelerates in the wet!

http://media.putfile.com/22B-acceleration-0-90MPH

I know the standard measurement is from 50-70mph but that happens far too quickly in the 22B - lets have a look at how long it takes to get from 50-80mph:

http://media.putfile.com/22B-acceleration-50-80MPH


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home